Zygonyx regisalberti (Schouteden, 1934)
- scientific: Z. pretentiosus Fraser, 1957; Z. chrysobaphes Ris, 1915 ssp. umbrosus Fraser, 1957
Type locality: Katanga, Katompe, DRC
Male is similar to Z. atritibiae by (a) black labrum; (b) dorsum of thorax with pale cross-band anterior to antealar sinus; (c) largely dark sides of thorax; (d) 2-3 rows between anal loop and tornus; (e) hind femora (partly) brown rather than black; (f) anterior denticles on femora directed towards base. However, differs by (1) ranging from Katanga and W Uganda to Gabon; (2) larger size, Hw 42-51 mm; (3) 15½-19½ Ax in Fw; (4) brown rather than black tibiae; (5) largely black dorsum of S3, at most with narrow basal ring. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014]
Mostly streams, but also rivers, usually in open areas in forest, but sometimes shaded. Mostly with a sandy bottom but also often a gravelly bottom. From 0 to 1500 m above sea level, but mostly between 200 and 800.
Abdominal segment 2 (lateral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Schouteden, H. (1934). Annales Musee Congo belge Zoologie 3 Section 2, 3, 1-84. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1964). Dragonflies (Odonata) of the Angola-Congo borders of Rhodesia. Publicacoes culturais Companhia Diamantes Angola, 63, 95-130. [PDF file]
- Longfield, C. (1959). The Odonata of N. Angola. Part II. Publicacoes culturais Companhia Diamantes Angola, 45, 13-42. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1962). Some records of Odonata collected in tropical Africa. Journal Entomological Society Southern Africa, 25, 20-50. [PDF file]
- Lieftinck, M.A. (1969). Odonates Anisoptères - Odonata Anisoptera. Explor. hydrob. Lac Bangweolo and Luapula, 14, 1-64. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2019-03-26].