Chlorocypha consueta (Karsch, 1899)
Type locality: Lake Nyassa, Malawi
Male is similar to C. flammea by (a) head without blue markings; (b) at least mid and hind tibiae with anterior white streaks; (c) Abd all red; (d) S2 largely red with paired black (sub)apical markings, and S3 not black laterally. However differs by (1) ranging through W and S Tanzania to N Zambia, Zimbabwe and possibly N South Africa; (2) labrum whitish to pale brown, with narrow contrasting black border, rather than largely black with brown spots; (3) Abd pinkish red, rather than red and yellow; (4) black markings S2 continuous between basal and apical border. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014]
Mostly streams, but also rivers, shaded by gallery forest, but sometimes in open landscapes. Often with a gravelly and/or sandy bottom, dead trunks or branches, and probably submerged roots and coarse detritus. From 300 to 2100 m above sea level, but mostly between 800 and 1500, although possibly down to 100.
Appendages (dorsal view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Karsch, F. (1899). Neue Odonaten aus Ost- und Süd-Afrika mit Einschluss des Seengebietes. Entomologische Nachrichten, 24, 369-382. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1967). African Chlorocyphidae (Odonata). Journal Entomological Society Southern Africa, 29, 161-197. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1961). Dragonflies (Odonata) of Central Africa. Occasional Papers Rhodes-Livingstone Museum, 14, 1-97. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1966). Check-list of dragonflies (Odonata) from Malawi, with description of a new Teinobasis Kirby. Arnoldia, 2, 1-24. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1967). Odonata Zygoptera. Exploration Hydrobiologique Bassin Lac Bangweolo Luapula, 14, 1-43. [PDF file]
- Schouteden, H. (1934). Annales Musee Congo belge Zoologie 3 Section 2, 3, 1-84. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2019-08-17].