Phyllomacromia overlaeti (Schouteden, 1934)
- scientific: P. subtropicalis (Fraser, 1954); P. paludosa (Pinhey, 1976); P. royi (Legrand, 1982)
Type locality: Lulua, Kapanga, DRC
Male is similar to P. congolica and P. sylvatica by (a) size, Hw 30-42 mm; (b) thorax with 2-3 pale stripes on each side: usually 1 antehumeral and 2 laterals, but one of these may be reduced; (c) dorsum of S10 flat, at most with rounded hump, without cones; (d) cerci brownish yellow to black, often darker than epiproct. However, differs by (1) labium uniformly brown, rather than with yellow and brown pattern; (2) border of hamule smoothly bent, rather than angled or incurved; (3) hind femur brown with contrasting black apex; (4) foliation on S8 broad and triangular, without notch. [Adapted from Dijkstra & Clausnitzer 2014; this diagnosis not yet verified by author]
Rivers, flowing channels in marshes and possibly streams shaded by gallery forest. Often with a sandy bottom and probably emergent vegetation and coarse detritus. From 0 to 1100 m above sea level.
Appendages (dorsal view)
Appendages (lateral view)
Abdominal segment 2 (lateral view)
Abdominal segments 8-10 (lateral view)
Map citation: Clausnitzer, V., K.-D.B. Dijkstra, R. Koch, J.-P. Boudot, W.R.T. Darwall, J. Kipping, B. Samraoui, M.J. Samways, J.P. Simaika & F. Suhling, 2012. Focus on African Freshwaters: hotspots of dragonfly diversity and conservation concern. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 129-134.
- Schouteden, H. (1934). Annales Musee Congo belge Zoologie 3 Section 2, 3, 1-84. [PDF file]
- Pinhey, E.C.G. (1961). Dragonflies (Odonata) of Central Africa. Occasional Papers Rhodes-Livingstone Museum, 14, 1-97. [PDF file]
- Longfield, C. (1959). The Odonata of N. Angola. Part II. Publicacoes culturais Companhia Diamantes Angola, 45, 13-42. [PDF file]
- Fraser, F.C. (1954). New species of Macromia from tropical Africa. Revue Zoologie Botanique Africaines, 49, 41-76. [PDF file]
Citation: Dijkstra, K.-D.B (editor). African Dragonflies and Damselflies Online. http://addo.adu.org.za/ [2019-10-23].